Asheville’s Curbside Management is adding two new materials to its collection program. All empty aerosol and plastic bottles will now be accepted for recycling!
Asheville residents can now recycle both materials by placing them in their green recycling bin and following these rules:
- For aerosol cans: Make sure the can is empty and remove the plastic top.
- For plastic bottles: Remove the bottle’s cap and throw it away with your non-recyclable garbage. Make sure to rinse the bottle and flatten it, as much possible.
To see whether a plastic container is in fact recyclable, here is what to look for:
- A neck on the bottle or an opening smaller than the widest part.
- A number of 1 – 7 inside the recycling symbol.
There are still a few plastics that cannot be recycled. The following items will not be collected:
- Bottle caps or tops.
- Antifreeze, pesticide, motor oil, or other hazardous / environmental waste material containers.
- Containers that are not bottles; like yogurt containers, butter tubs, or flower pots.
- Bottles not marked with a recycling symbol.
- Prescription bottles.
- Plastic bags.
- Plastic wrap.
If you have questions regarding recycling in Asheville, please call Curbside Management at (828) 252-2532.