Local Scoop

Categories

Asheville, North Carolina News


Trout Season Officially Opens In NC


ASHEVILLE, NC – Hatchery-supported trout waters opened at 7 a.m. on Saturady in North Carolina. These are waters stocked with thousands of catchable-sized brook, brown and rainbow on a monthly basis from March to August.

This year, N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission staff will stock more than 818,000 trout, with 96 percent of the stocked fish averaging 10 inches in length and the other 4 percent exceeding 14 inches in length.

When fishing on hatchery-supported trout waters, anglers can harvest a maximum of seven trout per day, with no minimum size limits or bait restrictions. These harvest regulations, combined with the generous stocking numbers, can result in some fantastic fishing opportunities.

The season runs 7 a.m. Saturday April 4 to Feb. 28. Hatchery-supported waters are marked with green and white signs. For a detailed list of all hatchery-supported trout waters and regulation information, visit the Commission’s Web site, http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2008_09_Mountain_Trout.pdf

Leave a Reply