ASHEVILLE, NC – DogFriendly.com released its Top 10 dog-friendly resort regions in the United States for 2009. Asheville came in at 9th place and was noted for the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Biltmore Estate.
The rankings are determined by the DogFriendly.com staff and take into account the quality of dog-friendly accommodations, things to do with your dog, beaches, parks and dog-friendly patio dining.
Below is the complete list;
1. Carmel / Monterey, CA – Many pet-friendly accommodations. Off-leash
Carmel City Beach. Many walking and hiking options. Shop and dine in
2. Bar Harbor / Acadia, ME – Pet-friendly Acadia National Park. Shop in the
historic downtown. Take a ferry or boat cruise.
3. Black Hills, SD – Lots of dog-friendly attractions and campgrounds. Mt
Rushmore worth visiting with a dog. See Badlands National Park.
4. St Augustine, FL – See the historic downtown. Lots of dog-friendly
shopping and dining. Take a harbor boat cruise and a ghost tour.
5. Cape Cod, MA – Visit Cape Cod National Seashore. Many cruises and
ferries. Also take in Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard.
6. Key West, FL – Quaint B&B’s and outdoor dining. Dog-friendly
attractions, boating and stores. See the Southernmost Point Monument.
7. Charlottesville, VA – Visit estates of Thomas Jefferson and Patrick
Henry. Shop at the downtown mall. Visit dog-friendly Shenandoah Park
8. Mendocino, CA – Stay in a pet-friendly B&B or resort. Walk the
seaside town. Go to the beach and dine outdoors.
9. Asheville / Blue Ridge, NC – Tour the Blue Ridge Parkway. Visit the
Biltmore Estate grounds and shop at Biltmore Village.
10. Amarillo, TX – Visit the famous Cadillac Ranch. Spend a day or camp at
Palo Duro Canyon. Stay at the Big Texan Steak Ranch Motel.