ASHEVILLE, NC – According to the National Weather Service, there is a winter storm watch in effect Friday through Saturday afternoon. City public works crews are closely monitoring the weather and stand ready to pre-treat bridges and roadways. Following procedure, crews will work 24-hour schedules to pre-treat roads and remove snow as needed.
City transit service will continue to operate according to its regular schedule unless roadways become hazardous. Updates on transit service will be made available if schedule modifications become necessary. Visit www.ashevilletransit.com or call 253-5691 for transit information.
The Asheville Fire Department encourages citizens to monitor forecasts and take measures to prepare for inclement weather. Measures to take include:
– Having extra blankets in automobiles and at home
– Ensuring each member of the household has winter clothing ready
– Assembling a disaster supply kit ( www.ready.gov for further information)
– Being prepared for power outages
– Ensuring a 3-day supply of necessary items (e.g., food, water, medications) in case you are unable to leave your home
– Continually monitoring weather conditions
– Staying off roads if possible
– Having a full tank of gas in automobiles if travel is unavoidable
In the event of an emergency, citizens are urged to call 9-1-1. To report power outages, call Progress Energy at (800) 419-6356. For more information about what to do if you lose power, visit: http://progress-energy.com/aboutenergy/stormcentral/outage/index.asp
For further updates or information about roadway conditions, media representatives may call (828) 259-5981.