ASHEVILLE, NC – The Western North Carolina Daylily Club will host its annual Daylily Show and Sale at The North Carolina Arboretum on Saturday, June 27, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Held in the Education Center, the show will display some of the best varieties of more than 46,000 registered daylilies.
The event will feature many outstanding daylily hybrids and cultivars of Western North Carolina. This is a must-see for daylily enthusiasts. Club members will also provide information on care and cultivation of daylilies, and plants will be available for purchase.
Other events and activities at the Arboretum on June 27 include:
"H. Douglas Pratt and John C. Sill’s BIRDS: The Science of Illustration." In conjunction with The North Carolina Arboretum’s celebration as an official part of the NC Birding Trail, this exhibit explores how art and science work together in Pratt and Sill’s artistic illustrations of birds. Located at the Baker Exhibit Center, additional features include:
- A bird nest collection, containing nests and egg replicas of local songbirds.
- An interactive bird song display.
- A habitat match-up interactive mural designed to teach concepts of animal needs and the distinct habitats of local birds in habitats that occur in WNC.
- An illustration table with sketch paper, pencils, erasers and colored pencils.
- Forest Trails Walk at 1 p.m. ~ Guided tour of Arboretum trails and natural environment.
All activities, including the Daylily Show and Sale, are free for Arboretum Society members or with the standard parking fee of $6 per personal motor vehicle. Visitors are encouraged to explore the Arboretum’s kaleidoscope of summer blooms, 65 acres of cultivated gardens, 10 miles of hiking and biking trails, engaging exhibits, and bountiful opportunities to connect with nature.
For information, call 828.665.2492 or visit www.ncarboretum.org.